Statement in the House of Commons – Lana Mae Krieser
Mr. Merv Tweed (Brandon—Souris, CPC): Mr. Speaker, on June 8, 2009, Ms. Lana Mae Krieser of Brandon, Manitoba, rescued an 11-year-old boy who was electrocuted during a school trip. While hiking, the boy and his friend had noticed something in the bush which piqued their interest and they went off the main trail. After finding a dead deer, the boys were about to return to the main trail when one boy slipped on the wet grass and fell on the ground and came into contact with a live hydro wire. His friend ran to get help.
When Ms. Krieser arrived on the scene, she found the young boy in convulsions and a small brush fire burning close by. Without any concern for her own safety, Ms. Krieser pulled the young boy off the live wire, electrocuting herself in the process. Despite knowing the risks involved in moving a victim while he was still in contact with the power line, her selfless actions saved this boy’s life.
It is with pride I share with the House that Ms. Krieser was recently awarded the Governor General’s Decoration for Bravery for her courageous act. I wish to recognize Lana Mae in the House as her actions are an example for us all to follow.